Monday, December 14, 2009

therapy, therapy, therapy

i'm sure many of you are wondering what we do all day. i can sum it up by saying lots and lots of therapy. it's a different kind of therapy for each of us. pete's therapy is probably the most involved. he has his speech therapy schedule now, so he does that twice a week. his other therapy is what i like to call resting therapy. that involves nothing more than watching tv and/or napping most of the day. i can't believe how worn down his body still is; it shouldn't be surprising considering he was literally knocking on death's door 2 weeks ago.

my therapy is much harder to squeeze in than pete's is. my therapy only happens when i'm willing to drop my kids off somewhere, neglect them, or allow them to participate in the session. my sessions take place in my sewing room. that creating process is doing wonders for my brain; thank goodness it's a positive thing since i had some important christmas deadlines that i wasn't willing to give up. what's nice about the way this therapy works is that i don't clean as i go. i get one project out and work on it until i get inspired to start the next one; i leave everything out because i know i will be coming back to it eventually. normally i can't stand to work in the mess, but it's therapeutic to not worry about it now. while all of my time lately has been spent on christmas pjs, duvet covers, dolls, and few other things that can't be revealed here, the real therapy will start after christmas. i have an idea brewing in my mind to really help. stay tuned for the results of my therapy.

the boys' therapy is probably the least helpful of all. their therapy is also a form of tv therapy. i'm not a fan of tv and children (remember?), but right now it's what is saving us. we all need down time in the worst kind of way, and putting them in front of the tv is the only way that we can all get that. their real therapy will start when i feel up to being a good mother again. they don't seem to dislike their therapy as much as i do.

i've been really surprised at what a healing process this is for all of us. i had thought once we came home then it would all be normal. while there are so many elements that are the same, there are also many things that are different. things that i couldn't even put into words. it's not even a bad thing. it's more like we've all had so many deep changes on the inside of us that it's just a matter of us all getting on the same page. i know our therapies will help. :)

5 comments:

Roxey said...

Can't wait to see what you create! You're amazing, as you always have been. If my kids aren't ruined with that 'therapy' I think yours will be ok ;).
Love and prayers

Ganny said...

I would NEVER!!!!!!! post a picture of my sewing room, for all to see. That is one room that I overuse. It is also the best therapy I have found for me. Shuck that thought of you being a poor mother.A frazzled mother may be more appropriate. Television is not all that bad. I hope Pete and the boys can agree what to watch.(smile) Fussy boys can make you nervous.
Your Christmas projects time frame is close. You need to stitch fast. I think your machine stitches 1500 a minute.Sandra says the 830 is a lot faster. We can dream about that one. HUH??? Each day brings a new challenge for all of you, but with God's guidance you will make it. Love ganny

Ganny said...

I re-read your blog. You mentioned Pete knocking at death's door. I recall a friend telling me after her near death experience. "God wasn't ready for me, and the devil never wanted me."

Chad and Kristen Milne said...

It sounds like your family is doing well while recovering. We wanted to send you out a Christmas card. Could I have your address? Also, I'm pretty terrible blogger, but I hope it's okay that I added your blog our blog list. Would you mind e-mailing me with your address? kris10milne@gmail.com. I hope you are all doing well.

Ryan and Amy Harvey said...

I am glad to hear that you have all worked out an effective therapy plan. I hope everything continues to sort itself out and you can keep dropping the boys off for both yours and Pete's sessions!

 
design by suckmylolly.com