Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A New Hero

I've written on this post several times the past three hours when I had three minutes before I had to leave the room again because Pete said/thought/did have to go to the bathroom. Now, I'm home at 1:00 am, and I just want to get the facts out.

Many of you are questioning the state Pete is in, what he says, how he is physically, etc. If you've ever seen 50 First Dates, that's how the day has been. Jen is incredibly drained. Pete continues to ask when they're going home, where are the kids, and just why he's there. When Jen tells him he's had a heart attack, he's baffled, or thinks he was in a bad bike wreck....over and over.
One thing that holds true every time Jen retells the events of the past three days, is Pete's love an appreciation for Jen. He always says how hard that must have been for her, and he also said, "YOU'RE MY HERO." There couldn't be a truer comment.

I honestly don't really know what else to say other than a few facts:
-Pete will be getting a pacemaker defibrillator in the morning.
Can't get the dang blog to stop underlining right now and am too tired to mess with it....
-"Time will tell" is seriously the only answer that keeps coming.
-The only thing the Shock Trauma Intensive Care Unit can do for him right now is give meds to lower blood pressure, slow the heart beat, and watch him.
-His short term memory lasts maybe a minute and is completely impulsive; hence the need to go to the bathroom every few minutes. When he has a thought, he immediately reacts as a need to use the bathroom by default. (They can't put a catheter in because he'll rip it out and cause more trauma.)
-He has slept maybe an hour in the past 24, which is normal, although not encouraged. (They can't give him sleep aids because it will cause more confusion and hinder the brain/memory healing process.)
-He did recognize me, but never recognizes his nurse even though he's been there for 5 hours, and in his room talking to him every 5-10 minutes.
-His physical actions are tough. He does get up to go to the bathroom with assistance and we watched him brush his teeth. All was very awkward as he is lacking coordination. The nurse said he'll need a lot of occupational therapy over physical therapy; just learning the everyday stuff.

Hopefully this answers many questions. Jen is exhausted in every way, so if you have questions I'll try to answer them to the best of my knowledge. It is going to be a very long road and they won't know the full impact of his brain injury for probably a year. Everyday will tell, we just need to take it one minute at a time.

What I do know is that he is here, he is fighting, and Jen is a hero. This all can only be described as a miracle and nothing else.

Roxey

15 comments:

sherree said...

Thanks Roxey. Bless you and peace to Jenny.

Lori B said...

Roxey they are so blessed to have you right now.

Pete, we're so glad you stuck around. We hope to see you all in a few weeks.

Jen, you are amazing! Take care of you and your little lady. I can't imagine what a roller coaster you've been on the last few days. I pray it only gets better.

Lindsay said...

Roxey,
I don't know you but I love and appreciate all you are doing for Pete and Jen. And for keeping us updated on Pete's condition.

Jen,
Pete said it best, you are a hero. One day your children will also fully understand what you did for their dad (and for them) and that title will carry on forever in your family. Of course, most of us have seen that in you for a long time :) Why do you think we love you so?

Pete,
We will pray for you and your drs today that the pacemaker procedure goes well and that you are able to get some sleep. It's good to have you back!!!

Helen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Helen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Helen said...

Thank you for keeping everyone posted Roxey. I'm constantly checking throughout the day if there is a new update. I'm so happy things are going positively. We all know that this is a complete miracle. I'm praying everyday, many times. Jen is amazing. I can't wait to see you guys again. This will do nothing but bring them closer to each other. I have no idea how hard it is going to be for Jen. But I know she is such a strong woman. We will keep you guys in our prayers. Just please keep us informed. We love you guys!
with love,
Candle

Ryan and Amy Harvey said...

This is a miracle and Pete is so right...Jen is a hero!

Candice said...

You can do it! There are so many people who are praying for you and are here to support you and your sweet family. Thank you for posting.

Ashly said...

Thanks for the updates Rox - you are the best.

Hang in there Jen, you are incredibly impressive!

Good job Pete, keep up the good work!

katwalk said...

she's been my hero for a long time. So thankful I have such a special daughter. Also thankful I have been given the honor to be her mother. I've always known the biggest blessing I had been giving was my children at times I've felt unworthy to have such special spirits I battled my life to give them what I thought they needed the most important thing I wanted them to know was they have a Father in Heaven that loves them very much He watches over them day and night and will never leave there side I'm honored to be so blessed my heart is running over with graditude and thanks giving to know that we are not alone we have a gift of the Holy Ghost and the priesthood without those things we have been giving and without the faith that we have been giving this things my brothers and sister this miracle would not have happened in all of this not once did I have doubt that my Father would not do all he could do. don't want to go into details and please don't ask Jen but when she was 13 her and i had a bad car accident hitting a tree in a dodge colt going way to fast Jen was out for a few days and came back to us so I knew miracles happen and 17 years ago that same kind and gracious Father answered my plees and gave me back my baby so I knew He had plans for her I remember in her short term memory loss and confusion of the events that had happened she told me of some things she had experienced and wanted to know what it meant not really knowing what to say my response was something kinda like well Jenni i think maybe it wasn't time for you to go because you have something important to do she goes like what be president I said no maybe it'll be that you are a good mommy someday and that she is my special daughter thanks to those that love her and Pete love you forever mom

Stormy said...

Jennifer,

You can do hard things! You are a hero! Your ability to face this so suddenly, head-on, and heroically is inspiring. We are still praying for you and Pete as you find your way through the unknown and recovery.

I'm so grateful you have the blessings of good family and friends and even people you don't really know rallying around you to support you. I'm also grateful for the resources and medical professionals that I know are working hard (and have worked hard) to get Pete through this.

May you feel the love we all have for you and your family. I have found in my own life that it is that love and the love coming from our Savior and Heavenly Father that will carry you through the hardest things.


Roxey,

THANK YOU for all of the support you are giving Pete and Jennifer. And many thanks for the update.




Love,
Stormy

Unknown said...

Thank you for the updates!

I've known Pete since middle school, we were neighbors, in the same ward and friends. It's no surprise how many people love Pete, and are praying for him and his family. As I talk to those that also know him, the overwhelming response is "What can we do?" My Mother asked me this morning if there was a way to make a monetary donation. I am certainly not the best or most sensible in a crisis, but my mom reminded me of the practical needs of Pete's family at this time.
Is there a fund set up we can donate to to help with expenses? Can we put together a fundraiser? Is there anything else that sticks out as a need that we can help with?
-Nayi

Dave Gourley said...

Roxey,

Thank you for the updates. We hang on every word.

Jenn, Pete married an amazing woman, thank you for being the companion for him that you are.

Pete, stop giving the nurses such a hard time! You might find you enjoy having a catheter...then you'd never have to get up during Star Wars!!

Love you guys,
Dave Gourley

Jenn N. said...

Thank you for continuing to keep all of us out here updated! When I was in high school, my mother had a massive stroke. I know a stroke is much different than a heart attack, but I do want to share that she made an amazing recovery. She had to re-learn how to talk, walk, write, and just about everything you can think of. After about a year, she was actually able to drive again and return to work. So don't give up hope. Pete is young and strong, and has a planet full of people praying for him. I have never met your family, but please know I'm sending positive thoughts and energy your way pretty much every minute of the day. You can all do hard things, and things will all work out as they are supposed to. I learned all of that as my family survived my mother's health problems. Namaste.

Emily said...

You don't know us, we are friends of the "Williams's Family" but we were told of this circumstance and will be praying for everyone involved. We are so grateful for the good news so far, hope to hear more in the future.

 
design by suckmylolly.com