Saturday, December 5, 2009

i won't waste this

as many things have overwhelmed me this week, i am also overwhelmed at how many big and little things have happened over the last 2 years but especially the last 2 weeks that have prepared us for this crisis. mostly they have been little things like pete feeling so insistent about getting cell phones last week and the plan he felt strongly that we needed to sign up for; thank goodness for that- it definitely added convenience to my week. there have been many things that i hope to jot down somewhere, but the most important thing i will share here is not as tangible as all the other things but maybe even more important.

pete and i have always had a fantastic relationship, but i, like any person, found myself getting annoyed with him on occasion for sometimes very unimportant reasons. a lot of times i let it fester and turn it into a much bigger deal, and then i would have a lot of regret, and a lot of hoping that that wouldn't be a time for a tragedy. i had 2 of these instances the day before and the day of that turned it into a major preparation and comfort for this event. it may seem insignificant, but i knew in each of these instances that it was something very personal for me.

the first event was something so silly. we were going to the park, and he left with sam without me and will. he was under the impression that we weren't coming; i should've let it go, but instead i mumbled around about how dare he not check before he left just to be sure. i packed will up and took off after him just getting madder and madder. in that moment i should've been hit over the head with a stick this impression was so strong: "you can waste this moment by being angry or you can seize this moment by letting go." i was stunned and realized how silly i was being; i let it go. the next event was the day of when we were setting up our christmas tree. i was irritated that he didn't spread the branches out better on the tree and that he went downstairs to play a game with the boys without helping me. i found myself getting madder and madder. again it was as if a voice was screaming in my ear: "you can waste this moment by being angry or you can seize this moment by letting go." i let it go again and knew this was too strange and it meant something for me. the exact impression of "you can waste this moment" was the critical part of this experience.

it proved to have a double meaning for me throughout all of this. the moments that i was calling 911 and trying to get his body in the right position for cpr his eyes connected with mine with an intense amount of fear, and in that split second i had the impression again to not waste this moment so i went to work doing exactly what i needed to do. i came home from the ER at 5:30 to check on the boys; during this time i had major impressions that he needed to be moved from the hospital he was at. i kind of stalled around waiting for the boys to wake up so i could see them, but i had that impression again to not waste this moment. because this was an impression that was becoming eerily familiar to me i knew i had to start to acting, so i made all the inspired arrangements to get him out of there as soon as i could. that truly paid off to be one of the most important miracles in all of this. his lung collapsed on the way to the new hospital, and i'm certain the old hospital never would've known. i was also told shortly upon arrival that had i not moved him exactly when i did he would've been dead by dinner that night. the doctors also told me that the best thing that pete had going for him up to that point was that not one second was wasted and had even one of those seconds been different the outcome would have probably been very different. thank goodness for that impression to not waste a moment.

in an even more personal way that impression brought me an overwhelming amount of comfort during that 1st day when the outcome seemed so bleak. i will never forget sitting in the floor in the waiting room telling my friend how grateful i was that i felt peace with how well we had gotten along lately and how grateful that i let the anger go and didn't spend my last moments with him being angry. i would've had regret the rest of my life. for some odd reason that was the only thing that was bringing me peace in those critical moments was knowing that i made the choice to not waste the moment.

i know this is a lesson that will bring me peace and prompting all of my days. as i am relishing in the new depth of our relationship i am making every effort to not waste any moments with him in any form. i have never been so grateful for a God who doesn't waste a moment with us. sometimes we get it and sometimes we miss it, but i have an undeniable certainty that He never wastes moments with us in preparing us to do all things. i feel like i will always be living proof of that.

17 comments:

Ganny said...

an AMAZING blog. We have no idea what blessings God has in store for you. My faith makes me believe your family will be living testimony of HOW REAL OUR GOD IS!!!! Love ganny

Jocee Bergeson said...

wow. what a life changer. i am so happy your family has been watched over. and i'm so glad it isn't pete's time to go!

MaryKate said...

talk about trying to stay intuned! I'm so glad you're family is doing better and thank you so much for keeping us all updated. What a blessing for everybody to have the internet these days! If you're still in need of anything, let us know.

Christian and MaryKate

Michele said...

Hi Jen! This is Pete's cousin who lives in San Diego. I put his name on the temple prayer roll on Tuesday--we've been praying for all of you ever since we heard on Sunday. Thanks for posting so much on your blog. I feel like I'm getting to know you! I really appreciate the updates--I don't get nearly as much info through the family emails. We love you guys and are hoping for the best!! Hugs, Michele (Flandro), Tyler, & Natalie Rand XOXOX

Stormy said...

Jennifer, I am in tears! I am so moved by this experience and everything you shared. It has taught me so much just reading it and reflecting on my own life and relationship with my husband and others.

Thank you for opening yourself up like this with such deep personal feelings and thoughts. I know you don't have to and I can't thank you enough for doing so. I'm learning so much here!

I'm so glad we're still friends and am so grateful you decided to get in touch with me when you did. I'm really humbled by that right now.

We will continue to pray for you all. Love you.


-Stormy

Lindsay said...

What a great example of the urgency to follow the Spirit! You and Pete have a very rare and special relationship. I just couldn't imagine you without him. It's wonderful our Heavenly Father loves all of us enough to be involved in the details of our day. Hope you are enjoying a day together all snowed in.

Heidi said...

Oh Jen... that was a wonderful post. THANKS for sharing your thoughts, epiphanies and inspiration. I'm so happy for you and Pete, this has been amazing to follow. Love you guys!

Tim, Crista and Addy said...

This experience has taught me so much and strengthened my testimony so I thank you for allowing me, someone you don't know, to follow and be part of it. Jen, it is clear what an incredible daughter of God you are, how close you are to the Spirit, what an amazing love you have for your husband and also for your kids. How lucky you and Pete are to have one another....still! I am so thrilled with the way things have worked out this week and I thank you again for being able to witness such a miracle and such great love the way the Lord intended it! Many prayers for the road ahead for you!

Nate and Tay said...

This is Pete's Cousin, Nate in Fresno. Pete used to work with my wife at Su Casa, before I even met her. So we have both been trying to find out the latest news. We are so happy to learn of all the miracles that have happened. Best Wishes! Our kids haven't missed Pete in a prayer all week. We'll keep it up.

Roxey said...

You always continue to teach me J. I love you

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen, This is Nina, Pete's aunt and Jane's sister. Thank you so much for teaching us all a lesson on love. You and Pete and your family have been close in my heart and prayers all week, and will continue to be. Pete's name is on the prayer roll at the Timpanogos Temple. I've shed many tears of gratitude. Much love, Nina

Belnaps said...

How joyful we are! After hearing you read this, I had to read it myself. I won't forget this lesson about the importance of each moment. Thank, Jen.

Pete said...

Hey Ben I heard something funny, as soon as you put your arm around Jen to comfort her I woke up. Too return the favor if you ever need to "wake-up" have Jamie give me a call :)

sherree said...

Rock On!

Camille and Paul said...

Wow Jen. I am Camille, Roxey's cousin, and Dave Gourley's (Pete's friend), little sister. I don't know if you ever remember meeting me, but I have been thinking about you a lot lately, and I am so thankful that I was able to read your blog tonight. I fall victim to this sort of thing all of the time, and I think I too, really need to learn to let the little things go and just ENJOY the small more important moments that we are blessed with. I am amazed by this miracle that your family has undergone in these last few weeks. Thank you for sharing and teaching me. I am so happy for you and your family.

Marissa said...

Again, you don'tknow me, but this post sounded almost exactly like what I went through! Right before my husbands accident we were getting along better than ever before. This was because every night when we got into bed this thought would come to me "I'm so grateful to have one more night with you." I went to sleep with this thought and woke in the morning still thinking it. This made me more grateful for him and the things he did for our family. I was noticing things that I had never really paid attention to.

The night before his accident, we actually talked about the life insurance policy that we had just set up a month before. When he went in to kiss the boys good-night he did it quickly and one of my sons was crying because he wanted to sing some songs before bed. I told him "cherish EVERY second with our kids" and he said "What? Do you think I'm going to die tommorow and I said "you never know." He didn't go in and sing but he did give each of them a kiss and looked them in the eyes and said "Do you know that I love you?" They didn't see their dad again for about a month.

Isn't is amazing how you can look back and see how you were being prepared for what you were about to face? When I was told that he probably wouldn't make it I was actually at peace because I felt good about the way things had "ended". It allowed me to put it all in God's hands and let thy will be done. It allowed me to have more faith than I would have otherwise.

I'm so happy for your family. I told you that miracles DO happen! This will change your life for the better I promise you. You will see things differently. You will love even harder. You will appreciate even more. You will look back and actually be THANKFUL for this trial. God knows what trials we need to learn, grow and find true happiness. If you ever need to talk please contact me.

Marissa

Tanada said...

Jennifer,

God bless you! You have no idea the amount of prayers and fasting that have been sent your way, especially last week. I wanted to let you know that I have never prayed more earnestly for a miracle in my life. My little daughter Hannah had a hard time pronouncing your name in prayers but now even in our prayers over the food she never forgets to bless the "landelindens". You are a hero and we are so grateful that you and Pete got a miracle in your lives. Please know that your miracle touched our lives and what I wanted to fast for yesterday was thanks that the Lord poured out blessings upon your precious family.

Lots of Love,
Tana Horton (formerly Wilkinson)

 
design by suckmylolly.com