Friday, January 15, 2010

a direct answer

this is pete and sam snuggled up on the couch sleeping. when i walked into the room today and saw this, i was touched deeply. it was a blatant answer to one of my most fervent pleas during pete's ordeal.

the first night pete was in the hospital was by far the most critical. i slept at my sister's house that night; i guess i didn't really do much sleeping. it was just where i stayed. i couldn't close my eyes that night; the scenes of the early morning with pete at home played over and over if i even tried to close them. i couldn't stop thinking about how i was going to tell my boys they weren't going to have a dad; i didn't know how i was going to make them remember him. i found myself on my knees pleading more intensely than i ever have; it was a very specific plea. i begged to please let pete come home one more time no matter what his brain was like; please let the boys have one more chance to crawl all over him, and please let pete have one more chance to wrestle them and one more chance to hold them close. there are not words for the intensity of my pleading.

when i walked in today and saw this i knew it was a specific answer to my desperate pleading. pete was home. he did have another chance to hold his boys. he's hopefully home for a really, really long time; he will hopefully hold these boys close many, many more times.

3 comments:

Ganny said...

A very "touching' inspiration.

jlyona said...

Wow! Jen you really put Pete's situation into perspective. How humble and grateful we are that "Superman" and his "sidekick" can be together! We all need Pete in our lives!

Jon & Kim said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. I too have two boys who adore their dad. What lucky boys to have such a great dad!!!!

 
design by suckmylolly.com