Sunday, April 11, 2010

a little deflated but only a little

i was up for a clothes shopping trip this weekend.
i am so done with maternity clothes,
and i just wanted something that was cute, new, and fresh.
i went to buy some new pants.
the sizing on the kind i like to buy has changed since i bought last.
i asked a clerk to explain the differences so i could be sure what i got fit.
she was explaining to me how this particular pant had been cut a little slimmer.
then her next comment took me off guard.
she said "i would not recommend this cut for you."
i was a little stunned.
i thought HOW RUDE!
i kindly informed her that i had a baby one week ago,
and i left it at that.
i didn't proceed to tell her that i had lost 16 lbs. in one week
or how that is the most i've lost in a week with any of my pregnancies
or about how happy i was that i only had 10 lbs. left to go.
i also didn't tell her how happy i was to have my little baby
or how i would take a pudgy tummy in exchange for miss maggie any day.
i also didn't tell her how happy i was that i wasn't obsessed about what my body looked this time and how relieving that was.
i could've told her that she should be more sensitive to people of all shapes and sizes and given her an example of a nicer way to suggest a different size or cut,
but i didn't.
instead i tucked the lesson away for myself.
we all have the opportunity to lift or hurt others by the way we choose our words.
we also have the opportunity to let things others say hurt us or let them go.
i decided that i will be kinder and more aware of my words
and more aware of my reactions.
needless to say, i didn't get those pants.
i will check back again when i feel like it.
in the meantime i will just be happy that i have some pants that fit.
and happy that i have a soft spot to hold my baby right on my pudgy tummy.

6 comments:

The Youngs said...

I know how you feel about the pudgy tummy. It is so worth the trade off for such a beautiful addition to the world. (I will even take the stretch marks)!!!!
I am sure you look fabulous!

Ashly said...

wow -- you've lost that much already?? And only 10 to go. I already admire your progress and I am sure I won't be in that spot a week after delivery! Good for you. And good work ignoring the dumb words from someone who didn't get it!

katwalk said...

customer service is so important...I would of found you a pair that fit and told you how nice you looked..bet she was young and local

Ganny said...

Well, how rude!!!!!! Some people's mouth slips out of gear, before their brain kicks in.

Anonymous said...

You were so much of a bigger person by not snapping back at her. I wished that I could have that kind of mindset. I know that I would have had a smart comeback, before I could even catch it. LaVon B.

sarah jane said...

at least you have pants that fit ,its all about the yoga pants here

 
design by suckmylolly.com