Tuesday, April 27, 2010

a double whammy

thank goodness for the comment last night from suzie.
it got me researching about thrush.
it sounded like exactly what we were experiencing.
the pain got worse throughout the night.
i went to the doctor today.
i was hit with a double whammy...
mastitis and thrush.
no wonder i was/am dying.
i'm not going to quit nursing,
but it is BRUTAL for the time being.
so if you see me crying,
just know it's from the pain.
i am on antibiotics and an ointment to kill the yeast on me and in maggie's mouth.
we are hoping for a quick recovery now that we have it figured out and a solution.


i'm grateful for all the help and support with my boys during crazy times like this.
i must say though that it's a great source of mom guilt for me.
i want to be the kind of mom who is involved in their games, their meals, and their time.
i don't want to ever miss anything.
i feel like whenever i turn them over to someone else i'm not doing my part.
i feel guilty not doing it all all the time.
crazy i know, but still my source of mom guilt.
pete's mom will have them tomorrow so i can recover some.
i'm going to focus on just resting and being grateful i can with no extra demands.

6 comments:

katwalk said...

hope you feel better today no wonder maggie was cranky hope she feels better too

Doug and Kristen said...

I've had both infections (not at the same time tho) and I must say the yeast is probably the most painful thing for a postpartum mother. Holy heck....the tears, occasional swear words, the moans at any touch were enough for me to say "I'm done with this nursing thing!" Hope it gets better soon!

Amy said...

With both babies I breastfed, I had 3 breast infections and 2 cases of thrush. The bad news is, there's a good chance you could get another one after this case is cleared up. The good news is, you now know what you're looking for. I knew once my breasts started to hurt and I started to feel fluish (chills/fever) even in the slightest, I called for an antibiotic ASAP. It can make the pain much shorter. And all of my infections cleared up after about 7 weeks. I know that seems like a while, but if you stick with it, it WILL end. I'm sorry. It's really hard.

Suzie said...

I am SO glad you're getting it taken care of...I was amazed at how quickly the ointment/cream started working on my (and the liquid on C's mouth). Sorry you have the double whammy with mastitis as well. Get better soon!

The Youngs said...

So much to take in at once!! I wish for you a speedy recovery!!!

Stormy said...

Jennifer, I'm so glad you were able to see the doctor and are able to remedy both problems. I've had Mastitis 5 times in my life and it was hell (for a lack of better words). My heart goes out to you.

A little piece of advice I received before Sofia was born...never hesitate to share your children with all who love and support you. It's a wonderful opportunity for them to bless and enrich the lives of those around them and especially in moments like these an opportunity for you to focus on making yourself whole again. It also gives them the opportunity to feel the love so many people have for them and that is so good for their well-being. Now, NO guilt tripping yourself! We as mothers have enough guilt already. :) *Hugs*

 
design by suckmylolly.com