Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Our Big Little Boy Turns 3




What a day...
  • birthday cupcake & buzz light year pancake breakfast... success
  • spending time with his favorite neighbor... success
  • special time with mom hearing the story over & over again about the day he was born... success
  • happy party at the "bounce house" with lots of great cousins... success
  • rockin' party at home with more pizza, cake, and presents than anyone could really need... success
  • a trip to the Ward Halloween Carnival in full costume & tons of fun carnival games & more sugar... success
  • a  happy, happy birthday for our big little boy... success
Well, he's 3. Hard to believe, but he's sure happy that he's 3. He's already talking about when he turns 10. WHAT IS HE THINKING!? Birthdays have become more tender to me since I've had my own children. I love the time to reflect on how they entered this world and what they have blossomed into each year. Here's my top list for Sam...

7. You're practically a vegetarian; with candy out of the equation, you would choose a fruit or bowl of vegetables to snack on over anything else. We can hardly get you to eat to any meat unless it's a hot dog. Wait, is that really meat?
6. You tell me all the time that the only thing you like are tractors. Every time we see a piece of heavy machinery while driving you say "Tractor!" No one is allowed to say it before you do or you will quickly remind them that you are the only one who can say tractor first. You politely inform us that dad gets to point & say "motorcycle", mom says "house", and Will says "ducks".
5. I love your wondering mind and inquisitive nature. You've always been very verbal and curious about how the world works. You ask "why" or "how" about everything. In an attempt to teach you as much as possible I always answer the whys as thoroughly as possible, but after about about 10-15 whys asking what you think is the only way to make it stop. Surprisingly, you always have a well thought out and fairly accurate interpretation. Another thing I love about your mind is how you remember EVERYTHING. You've always been that way, and it is a little freaky at times the things you can recall. 
4. I love your concern for other kids. You are very social and always trying to make friends with every kid you ever see, especially older kids. You are so good at sharing with them, and it always makes me smile when you ask their moms 1st before you give them anything. You are even getting great at sharing with Will. 
3. You still love your "Api" (pacifier). Although you said you will throw it away for the garbage man in the morning since you are now 3. I will hold you to it. 
2. You have always loved twirling my hair when you are tired or sad. You do it every night. I hope you always do.
1. You are such a mama's boy, and I love it. From the very second you were laid on my stomach I felt like I had always known you and had a connection with you. The older you get the deeper that attachment and understanding gets. I hope you always love me this much.


For those of you wondering, the bed was a huge success. He was so happy to see it this morning. We made him get up at 6:30 to see it before he went to work. He crawled right in & went to sleep until after 9:00. Tonight he got right in, curled up, & told me he was going to stay in that bed all day. I guess he loves it. 

4 comments:

Dana Marie said...

I love that he got a cupcake for breakfast. you are a great mom. It's sweet to read about how cool you are as a mom, and the funny things your kids are doing. *pat on the back*

Arin and Troy said...

Happy Birthday Sam! The oldest 3 year old I have ever met!! I will never forget your grand entrance that me and your Auntie were able to see on the way to the hospital. We love you!

Ashly said...

Happy Birthday to cute little Sam!! What a big day!

Melissa said...

wow. Time flies. I'm glad he had such a great day

 
design by suckmylolly.com