Saturday, October 25, 2008

I Like Myself


This is by far one of the best children's books I've found. Definitely a message I want to instill in my children. The words are so perfect I wanted you all to know them before you buy the book...
I like myself! I'm glad I'm me.
There's no one else I'd rather be.
I like my eyes, my ears, my  nose.
I like my fingers and my toes.
I like me wild. I like me tame. 
I like me different and the same.
I like me fast. I like me slow.
I like me everywhere I go.
I like me on the inside, too, for all I think and say and do.
Inside, outside, upside down,
from head to toe and all around, 
I like it all! It all is me! And me is all I want to be.
And I don't care in any way what someone else may think or say.
I may be called a silly nut or crazy cuckoo bird- so what?
I'm having too much fun you see, for anything to bother me.
Even when I look like a mess, I still don't like me any less,
cause nothing in this world you know can change what's deep inside, and so...
No matter if they stop and stare, no person ever anywhere can make me feel that what they see
is all there really is to me.
I'd still like me with fleas or warts, or with a silly snout that snorts,
or knobby knees or hippo hips or purple polka-dotted lips,
or beaver breath or stinky toes or horns protruding form my nose,
or-yikes-with spikes all down my spine, or hair that's like a porcupine. 
I still would be the same, you see.... I like myself because I'm ME!

Wow! I wish I could say I like myself that much! I don't know why liking myself has always been such a struggle for me. Maybe it is for all of us. I know I want my kids to like themselves and like me. I've realized I need to start liking myself more to teach them both of those lessons. Any suggestions on how to better see the things you are instead or things you aren't? Or how to not measure yourself against your own unattainable expectations? That's my biggest struggle. I haven't figured out how to switch that switch. I think I'll start with memorizing this book.

2 comments:

Jocee Bergeson said...

Sounds like a great book. Thanks for the tip. I just reserved it online at library so I can read it to Sage (and myself). I wish I liked myself that much to. I don't think anyone does! Sad, but true! :)

Melissa said...

A wise friend once told me to just stop the thought. Anytime you start to say or think something unkind about yourself or about not meeting up, to stop it and replace it with a positive thought. I'm pretty sure it's a common struggle, but can be defeated.

 
design by suckmylolly.com