Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Sam finally sleeps through the night


For all of you who told me Sam wouldn't always struggle with taking naps, going to bed, and sleeping through the night without getting in bed with us every night were right. Why couldn't I have found more peace in that advice from those who actually had been through this at the time when it took me 2 hours a night to get Sam to sleep???? I had such a peaceful moment tonight putting him to bed that I was reminded of the stark contrast of just a few months ago. Oh, those nights were rough, and I certainly didn't do my part to make it easier on him or me. I feel so bad for all the frustration, I feel so bad for putting the gate up in his door to keep him in his room, I feel so bad for seeing and hearing him crying at that gate & it never really worked, I feel so bad for ignoring him when he would come out of his room for the 23rd time to watch me sew, I  feel bad that I just didn't have more faith that it wouldn't be like this forever, and I mostly just feel bad for not holding him and comforting him more during those times and not taking into account what could've been causing him so much distress. Gosh, I just hope he doesn't feel as bad about it as I do. I just don't know what I was so worried about; it wasn't like I was needing to do things more important than helping him. I probably just wanted to blog, sew, or watch tv with Pete. I'm grateful for the sleeping ease now, but truth be known I do kind of miss him climbing into our bed every night and twirling my hair. I guess I'm having a bit of a discouraging night realizing that all the moments of a child's life, even the frustrating ones, are so fleeting. Thankfully, I have learned from this. I have gotten so much better at savoring every second, and hopefully I can look back and feel like I didn't miss one second with these precious kids. 

3 comments:

Ashly said...

Good job to Sam!!

Isn't it funny how you start to adore your kids for the exact reasons that also drive you crazy!!!

Ganny said...

My goodness, you ole' naughty thing. Oh Boy!!!!! the frustration ain't nothing yet!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love Ganny

Rebekah said...

That picture of you and Sam is so freaking cute!

 
design by suckmylolly.com