Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Excuse me?????

Ok, this post is going to need a slight preface. The conversation you are about to read was not an exchange with attitude or malice or unkind tones even though it may sound like it should have.  I am not angry or bitter; instead, I have been shaking my head all day thinking "did that REALLY just happen!?" Ok, here goes...
Today I went to the beauty supply store and to Office Max. These stores are in the same shopping center but on different ends of the complex. Since I knew I was going to be going to both stores I parked in the middle so I could walk to each different store and not get in my car to drive 6 store fronts down. I bought some things at Office Max that were kind of heavy, so I wasn't going to be able to carry a baby and the bags so I took the cart to my car. I wasn't going to leave my kids in the hot car to return the cart to Office Max, so I pushed it onto the sidewalk and left it there. I was thinking that would be better than leaving it in the parking lot. Well, apparently there was another lady who didn't agree. As I was buckling Sam a lady approached me, and here's the conversation that followed word for word:

Her: Is that an Office Max cart?
Me: Yes, it is. 
Her: Are you going to leave it there in front of our clinic?
Me: Yes, I am.
Her: Well, I think that is really rude.
Me: I'm sorry. Do you have 2 kids?
Her: Actually, I have 3.
Me: Awesome. Then I'm glad we understand each other. 

Then I got in my car and drove away. WHAT in the world!? Although I am not angry about this conversation I still have a few things to say about it. First of all, shouldn't she have been a little more concerned about me leaving my children in a hot car in order to return a shopping cart a ways down the parking lot?? Second of all, shouldn't she have been more concerned that there are people out there that would actually drive their car across the parking lot instead of just walk?? Here's the clincher for me... she was an employee at a Wellness Center. If I understand correctly don't wellness centers focus on integrative mind, body, and spirit approaches for the whole person? So don't you think she would've felt more inner peace and serenity for simply offering to take my cart for me instead of calling me "rude"? I know I would have. I guess the moral of the story is, don't be getting up in people's business especially when it is causing no harm to anyone especially to you. If you see a mother with children leave her cart in a parking lot and it bothers you that bad then by all means do something; do something like offer to take if for her.  I'm sure we have all been guilty of leaving a cart on a sidewalk or parking lot, but I don't make a habit of it. I should've told her that I'm the one normally rounding up the stray carts to bring back to the store as courtesy when I can. I guess I earned the privilege to leave my cart behind once.  Cast your vote on my poll and let me know what your habits are. And to you, Wellness Lady, take a deep breath, take your own advice, and try to relax a little.

7 comments:

MaryKate said...

You are so funny...I'm still laughing because I can't believe that lady came up to you. I say way to go with the kid comment! BY the way, it was great seeing you the other day, even if it was for only a minute!

Arin and Troy said...

Whenever I leave my cart in the parking lot, I always feel like I am doing the cart collectors a service, it's called JOB SECURITY. lol

Anyways, what a crazy lady. I wish I would have been there to give her a little piece!

o said...

I totally agree with you! I have done it many of times having 3 kids. People are funny. Look how worked up that lady got over nothing! Great job standing up for yourself!

Rebekah said...

What a dork! I'm so sick of "customer service" people treating the customer disrespectfully. I'm so glad you stood up for yourself - I probably would have caved and then cried on the way home. ha ha ha

Meghan said...

what a dork. i'm glad you said what you did. people need to chill out a little. and the cart kid was probably psyched to get to go on a little walk away from his monotonous job to get your abandoned cart.

Ganny said...

What a bitty!!! You should have given her your Business card. Love, Ganny

Melissa said...

Hey Jen, I know what you mean. It's an interesting and educating occasion when people judge your character on a whim. It's happened to all of us. I'm glad you said something back, nicely.

 
design by suckmylolly.com