Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Nothing short of a maid

Ok, I must let my cleaning secret out. I've received many requests for the method. Please don't be disappointed. I wish it was a magical trick where you didn't really ever have to clean but everything stayed clean; unfortunately, you still have to do stuff. I have just found that if I stick to the same cleaning schedule every day and week my house seems to stay relatively clean. I assign different jobs to different days, so I'm not cleaning all day. Plus, I like being done with the cleaning for the day once my 2 jobs are done so I can spend more time playing with the kids and picking up daily mess/clutter. My schedule is below. It has worked well for me, but obviously we all have different types of houses and needs. Even with the schedule I realize that things will have to be surfaced at times throughout the week. Trust me, when Sam spills a carton of milk on Wednesday I don't wait until the next Tuesday to clean the kitchen floor. :)

MONDAY: upstairs bathrooms, laundry (including ironing)
TUESDAY: dusting all upstairs rooms, vacuum upstairs, clean kitchen & front room floors. I love this day because everything smells so clean
WEDNESDAY: dust & vacuum basement, vacuum stairs, downstairs bathroom
THURSDAY: laundry room, laundry
FRIDAY: DAY OFF! except for daily things like dishes, etc.
SATURDAY: 2 monthly jobs (blinds, baseboards, refrigerator, microwave, oven, windowsills, and all other sucky jobs that have to be done on somewhat of a regular basis). I don't like spending all day Saturday cleaning, so husbands and children come in really handy to help with this day.

I love tips, stories, routines, etc. that help keep your houses clean. Who knows, I may become such an expert that I may start a cleaning blog. :) Yeah right, keeping my house clean and family happy takes about 23 hours a day as is! love it though.

4 comments:

Ganny said...

Sounds real good to me. Let the family have fun. Forget the cobwebs, and dust. Spray paint them (not the kids, the cobwebs) in colors to match the seasons. I had a very dear lady for a neighbor, when my kids were little. My house was always a mess and no modern conveniences at all. I would always make excuses for the house being in a mess, AND SHE SAID your house is not a mess it just looks lived in. Sometimes even now, I say to myself, this house sure looks lived in. Remember PaPa would say there is something sticky on this floor, my socks are sticking to it. Peanut butter and jelly handprints and cracker crumbs on the floor just go with little boys, and girls. Spilled milk does too. You will have plenty of time to do housework when you get old, and then you will not give a care. Love Ganny

Brooke said...

Great idea! It helps so much to just do a little each day. When you get a chance e-mail me those photos and I will put them on my blog! Thanks!

Brooke said...

I forgot to leave you my address. tbmzhaag@gmail.com

Roxey said...

glad you like to iron!!

 
design by suckmylolly.com