Wednesday, April 30, 2008

to spank or not to spank...

well, I'm not one for spanking, but Sam got one today. We were at the beauty supply store, and he was taking everything off the shelf and was certain he was going to push his own shopping cart. One might be asking what the big deal is with that. Well, let me explain. First of all I think my kids are the only ones I've ever seen in this particular beauty supply store; it's not the most kid friendly place. The aisles are very narrow and not much room for a 2 year old to maneuver a cart without knocking everything off the shelf- that's not something that would thrill these employees. I used all of my tactics to no avail. He was determined to push the cart. Well, little boys who don't listen to mommy have to be held by mommy. This didn't fly with Sam. He was throwing a fit like only his mother could throw. He was really screaming and kicking and hitting and trying to knock everything off the shelf. I kept my cool, but I did give him a pretty good spank to get his attention. I'm not sure what I expected his reaction to be, but in a weird way it calmed him a little. He was still crying, but it was more of a cry of shock and disbelief that I actually spanked him. It did, however, get him to stop throwing his arms and legs all over the place. A big part of me wishes I wouldn't have done it, but I guess it was ok in this instance?????

7 comments:

Meghan said...

pre-motherhood i swore i'd never spank. ty and i were at odds about it too. funny thing is i was spanked as a child, he was not. anyway, ry has been on the recieving end of a few and i think it works if it's only on occasion and can knock them off their game. i am proud of you for only spanking not totally taking him out in thiat instance...

Ganny said...

Spankings only hurt egos. When all else fails, it helps a lot. Love Ganny

Arin and Troy said...

I don't see what the big deal is about being spanked. We were all spanked as kids and our generation turned out alot better than kids are now. It is just this new society that has been created that tells us that our kids are supposed to control everything that tells us it is wrong. You better believe I am going to be spanking my kids to get their attention if they are raising hell!

Ryan and Amy Harvey said...

I am definitely no expert, but I wonder if spanking could be affective with Sam on occasion. It might just make him prone to try to hit you, but he can't act that way in public, especially in beauty supply stores, crusty fabric stores, or any other random place like that, so something has to change.

Mel-You might end up eating your words...it is no fun to have to spank!

HOT TOWN, SUMMER IN THE CITY! said...

This sounds like a good time to call your good friend Summer and let Sam have a playdate with Harrison. Beauty supply stores are no fun for boys unless they like people to use hair straighteners as baseballs and shampoo bottles for bowling pins. Call me next time, stinker!!!

Ashly said...

I feel the same way. I'm pretty anti-spanking but sometimes Clark is such a stink that it's the only thing I can figure to do with him. I don't want to teach him to hit but there are times when nothing else gets through to him!

Brooke said...

Hmm. Touchy subject. Do you still have the photos of my hair? If so still send them to me. Thanks!

 
design by suckmylolly.com