Monday, April 21, 2008

Happy day, Earth


I know that tomorrow is actually Earth Day, but I was hoping to get the word out to everyone tonight so they would be prepared to celebrate tomorrow. Just a few of my thoughts about the Earth and Earth Day...

I don't know exactly how, when, or why I developed such a love for this beautiful planet we live on. I'm pretty sure it all started with growing up on a farm in Oklahoma where there were always blue skies, white puffy clouds, open space, the smell of alfalfa, lots of trees, and clean air. I can remember the smells, running through the prairie meadow, playing in the dirt, and feeling the thick, cool, green grass on my bare feet. In each of those moments I always had an overwhelming amount of child-like love and respect for our great planet. I guess there were other things that contributed to my attitude. My mom was always talking about trees and mother nature. She spent a lot of time outside nurturing her plants in their natural uninhibited setting. She also always wore this blue Earth Day shirt that sent a message to me every time she wore it. Then there's my dad. He also made a major contribution to my Earth views. I know to others he probably seems dorky always riding his bike or the bus, buying things used and trying hard to not buy things made in China, being a minimalist, and the list goes on and on and on with him. My views and love for this great Earth have continued to grow with me into adulthood, and now here I am trying to do my part to protect this beautiful planet so that my children will have the same opportunity to experience blue skies, lots of trees, and plenty of clean air to breathe and clean water to drink.

Ok, Ok, I know it can get pretty political at this point. I'm not trying to start a political debate so please don't find it necessary to insult me in the comment section. Politics aside, we should all be aware of the great stewardship we have to protect this Earth for everyone. Our actions do matter, and without question there are many actions that are much better than others. For those of you who are already practicing an earth-friendly lifestyle, then applaud yourself. For those of you who aren't, then let Earth Day tomorrow be your start. There are lots of little things we can do (not drive everywhere everyday or combine errands, don't use plastic bags even if that means you actually have to ask for paper, plant a tree or nurture the ones around us, REDUCE, don't buy so much crap that we don't even need especially the stuff that comes from China, don't waste stuff, REUSE, buy stuff used when you can, RECYCLE even if you don't have a city curbside program, turn off your lights!!, do your own research about how to live amore sustainable life); imagine if you did these things, then your children would do them, and their children will do them, and their children would do them, and their children would do them, and their children would do them... you get the picture. You can make a difference. "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." (Ghandi)

So, Happy Earth Day. Love your Earth...


(And, Amy, don't forget to wear your beloved Earth Day shirt! HAHA!)

7 comments:

Arin and Troy said...

Ditto! I am really glad you made this post, that is exactly how I feel, too and I hope I can make more changes in my own life to be a little more friendly to the Earth!

Ryan and Amy Harvey said...

Great post! I am not wearing my shirt today thank you very much but it made me ask myself, "Are my kids going to remember me wearing that shirt the same way we remember Mom?" It kind of drove me crazy! Now I really want to move to the country again. thanks for the reminder that we all need to do our part.

Mel you can start by not using paper/plastic utensils for every get together! J/K

Ganny said...

Everyday is Earth day to me. I have the blue skies, rolling clouds, fresh air, and the Locust trees are in bloom today. I love their smell. I surely do live in God's Country. Love Ganny

Stormy said...

We love to celebrate Earth Day everyday! It's something I have always loved about the Oregon culture, the majority here embraces the "reduce, reuse, recycle" attitude.

When I was in college (pre-mission) my friends from Oregon and I would save up all of our soda cans and drive them back to Oregon when we would go home for a visit because back in 1995 there was no such recycle program in SLC or Provo.

Every neighbor we had in West Jordan we converted to recycling and using re-usable grocery bags...we're such save-the-earth missionaries!

(I'm not tooting any horns here just "seconding" everything you said....so true!)

Happy belated Earth Day. :)

HOT TOWN, SUMMER IN THE CITY! said...

We need to find a way to generate power from our two year olds excess energy. We should be able to power a small country from these two, right??? Saving the planet... one toddler at a time!!!

MaryKate said...

I wish I knew how to do more. I was telling Christian a couple of weeks ago that I wish we could do more "green" things to our home while we are remodeling. The problem is that you have to have more money to implement those things. Well, his reply was "What next your going to want a cow, huh?" If I lived on a farm...okay.

MaryKate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
design by suckmylolly.com