Monday, September 22, 2008

The day of rest that isn't really restful & thank goodness for moms and husbands


Whoever deemed Sunday as the day of rest obviously didn't have kids!! I wondered a lot yesterday how I would ever be able to not get frustrated with Sam when he's climbing over the pews in church. Then I did the whole full cycle of thinking if I was just a better mom, then he wouldn't be so difficult during church. Thankfully my mom called in this moment. I was relaying all of these thoughts to her, and she gave a whole new perspective that has had me laughing hysterically ever since. She reminded me of one of my sister's behavior during church. My sister used to lean over and put her head between her legs and lay like that all during church. I didn't realize that drove my mom so crazy, but I do remember her squeezing my sister's arms and legs trying to get her to sit up. Ok, that memory is what makes me laugh hysterically. My mom expressed the same annoyance with her that I was feeling with Sam. She also said that she would miss everything that went on in the meeting because she was too busy freaking out and scowling about my sister. She passed along the best advice that she received. Someone told her that if my sister wanted to sit with her head down in church to just let her; that was far less disruptive. Of course I can't let Sam climb the pews, but if he wants to quietly stack hymnals and drive his tractors off of them instead of sitting on his bottom, then perhaps I should just let him. That would be far less disruptive. Thanks for the right moment and perspective, Mom. 

And a great big thanks to a husband who has been sharing great parenting advice with me on how to motivate rather than to expect. A lot of meaningful stuff goes on in that brain of his, and I love when he shares it.

3 comments:

Arin and Troy said...

I can't believe how old Sam looks in that picture! He looks like he is 4 or 5! He is going to be such a little heart throb!

P.S. I'm glad that I am not the sister you are talking about. :)

Ashly said...

I sympathize - - Clark is nuts in church too. I feel like I get 20 minutes (tops) out of the enitre 3 hours. It's a problem that likely won't be fixed for years to come! Oh well

I think my mom would like something in the month or so before the wedding. THe date is Nov 14th. Let me know what you can do!

Ganny said...

Some days, I feel like climbing over the pews too. hee hee Love ganny

 
design by suckmylolly.com